A Triad for a Healthier and More Fulfilling Life
March 23, 2018
The old saying Mind, Body, and Spirit have always carried some gravitas but recently I think it’s lost its meaning. This is something we need to change and get back to basics.
There are so many new diets, new improved exercise methods, greater health benefits from meditation etc. etc.
The health industry has spent years promoting better health through nutrition, exercise and, to some extent, mind. But the industry still feels a little disjointed, and very much lacks direction.
With so many view points in the industry, the average person is still left confused and disorientated. Very few diets, exercise plans etc. actually analyse the person. With an industry that is supposed to be about helping the individual, improving them and uplifting them to a better version of themselves, we seem to very quickly sell our plan as the only plan that will work for everyone! This is just simply not true. Each person is different, an INDIVIDUAL, not a puppet that can be manipulated into a mold.
The industry needs to find a new way, and become more coherent with a path for the average person to follow. We need to get a good mix of designing a path for the individual and allowing them to find THEIR way.
I think it all boils down to two things:
- The individual needs to become knowledgable,
- The industry needs to become more open to the individual’s needs.
Point one is probably the easiest to explain or understand. As the industry becomes more knowledgeable so the consumer needs to follow suit. It’s all about ownership, if they own their health and well-being, then they can become more motivated, more self-reliant and therefore help others on their path or journey. The old saying ‘Knowledge is Power’, works quite well in this instance. For them to have knowledge we need to move onto the next point.
The industry can be very closed minded to the needs of the individual. The saying “It worked for me, it can for you” is pure pomp. We start to negate that individuals nutritional, physiological and psychological makeup. We need the “whole”-listic approach, and by simply focusing on one area we can easily put ourselves out of balance. Nutrition, Exercise and Mind! That’s the triad. These three should form the legs of our overall health. Keeping them in balance for your type.
Nutrition and Exercise are the most important for short term gains or losses depending on your outcome. Your nutritional intake is a lot like database input, “if you put crap in, you get crap out”. For the long-term stability, maintenance and to a certain extent breaking to the next level, your Mental health is the key. Without a balanced mind, our efforts in the gym or at the dinner table can fall short and be much harder to maintain.
Here’s a little guide:
1. Check your intake; too much of one thing can be detrimental,
2. Remove foods from your diet; see if it’s absence creates a difference,
3. Keep a diary of your intake; iPhone or notebook, see what you eat in a day,
4. Find a lifestyle; a diet isn’t going to work, switch it up for a change in lifestyle. Something you can maintain and enjoy.
1. Start off slow; If you haven’t exercised in a while you could do more harm than good,
2. Find something you could do anywhere; IF you can do it anywhere there are less excuses,
3. Find a buddy; Do it with others. It keeps you accountable to someone. But make sure that someone is reliable, that’s why a coach/personal trainer can help.
1. Reflect on yourself. Keep negative thoughts at bay they have no place in your mind,
2. Answer a simple question; Can you do anything about it? If the answer is no then don’t worry, if yes then sort it out,
3. Confide in a trusted person; having someone to ‘vent’ at can do wonders for letting go of emotional baggage,
4. Quiet time & Social time; Get a daily dose of each.
With these little tips you could start a journey, and that is exactly what this is, a journey. You need to start somewhere, have a target to reach, plan your way to that target and get the help you need along the way.
P.S – Try looking into Ayurveda and ascertain your Dosha. (https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/prakriti-quiz)